Ahhhh….fall in Florida. While everyone else is wearing their cute layered clothing and boots and sipping on their pumpkin lattes, we are trying not to die from a heat stroke! Seriously folks, it’s still really hot here in south Florida where I live and even though I love my state (I’ve lived here my entire life), it would be nice to “feel” like it’s fall instead of summer. We do have some extraordinary sunsets this time of year but there is an old joke that says the only seasons Floridians get to experience are summer, hurricane season, tourist season and love bug season. It’s true, too! But I do love this time of year and here is why: (and when you are finished reading about why I love this time of year, make sure you check out all my other blogging friends and what it is that they love this time of year)
I love burning my favorite fall scented candles! And I bet you think they are some expensive brand, too! But they’re not! I love, love, love these Mainstays brand candles from Walmart. They smell so good and because they are so inexpensive, I can buy several and have them all around my house! This mulled cider collection is one of my favorites! It makes my house smell delicious and I get many compliments on them. You can also find them in warm apple pie scent, pumpkin spice, hazelnut and at Christmas time the Mainstays pine scented candles are all I buy. Nothing puts you in the fall mood more than a great smelling candle!
2. Another way I get that “fall smell” in my home is with my oil diffuser and my favorite essential oils. Here are a few of my favorite recipes:
For a fresh autumn in the air fragrance:
- 2 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Clove Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
A Wellness Blend:
- 2 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 2 drops Clove Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
I also love this NOW brand essential oil called “Good Morning Sunshine” – it has such a nice, citrusy smell that is energizing and uplifting. I bought it at my local health food store.
3. I also love to cook in my crockpot and keep that fall smell going! I have a few recipes that I just love to make this time of year like chili, pumpkin swirl cheesecake, and my hubby’s all time favorite is this Slow Cooker Praline Apple Crisp. We love it served with ice cream! When you enjoy good food with the ones you love there is nothing better!
- 6 medium-size crisp tart apples (Granny Smith or Braeburn), peeled if desired, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1- Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix apples and cinnamon to coat. Place in slow cooker.
2 – In medium bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, flour and butter with pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Stir in pecans and toffee bits. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over apples.
3 – Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours. Serve apple crisp with ice cream.
4. I just love pumpkin pie! You can’t get any more fall feeling than that! However, pumpkin is good for you but once you turn it into a pie…well not so much! I love using my Nutri Ninja and whipping up smoothies so I have experimented a little with some recipes I found online and I enjoy this Pumpkin Smoothie every once in a while as I feel it’s pretty healthy! (found on sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (120g) vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup (150g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup ice
- Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 3 minutes or until smooth – this may take longer if your blender isn’t very strong. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Add more milk to thin out if it is too thick. Add a couple more ice cubes for a thicker texture, if desired. Add more spices to taste, if desired.
5. Of course it’s not fall without football! I’m not really into NFL football but I love my Florida Gators and can’t wait to watch the games every Saturday afternoon (yesterday’s game didn’t go so well…boo!) Here’s a picture of my granddaughter all dressed up and ready for some Florida football! Gooooooooo Gators!! I usually try to get to The Swamp a couple times during football season but I haven’t made it this year yet.
6. I love coffee! Anytime of day, I love coffee! And during the fall months I live on coffee with Pumpkin Spice Creamer! I turn down my air conditioner and pretend it’s cold outside as I sip my latte from my beautiful Florida Gator cup!
7. I decorate my front porch. Yeah, I know, it’s not a big front porch with steps but I still like it to be cute and look “fallish” so I continue to put out my wreath and my scarecrows and my pumpkin and pretend like it’s fall up in here!
8. I start thinking about Thanksgiving. It’s really my favorite holiday. I love that it centers around family and food and is a time to reflect on our blessings. I have so many! This time last year my daughter, Kelli was battling cancer. Today she is cancer free and I thank God above everyday for that. I don’t take it for granted as I know we could battle another storm any time but family and the Lord is what gets me through those difficult times. I love the time to slow down and reflect on that.
9. Autumn lets me know that it’s time to start my Christmas shopping! I look for the best deals in my local stores and from my favorite deal bloggers. When a see a great one, I grab it! I have 9 grandchildren, so waiting until the last minute is not an option for me! I get a lot of pleasure out of snagging great deals….and I love finding them for people, too!
10. Family…..they are everything to me. And I know that once fall comes around we have “planned” time to be together. First we have Halloween. It’s time to dress up, grab a bowl of that chili I cooked, and head out for trick or treating together. Next comes Thanksgiving where we eat and eat and eat some more. I feel so blessed when I have my family all around me and I’m sad to see it come to an end. And then I remember that Christmas is only 4 weeks away and we get to live this day all together again once more in 4 weeks. My family is my everything.
What is your favorite thing about fall?
(Be sure to check out my friend’s posts and see what they are loving this time of year! Their links are below. Tell them Laurie from Steals and Deals for Kids sent you!)
Joanne from Seasonal Family Fun | Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me | Alicia from TaylorLife | Rachee from Say It Rachee | Jenny from Chocolate ‘N Children | Jennifer from Simply At Home Mom | Jenn from More Than A Mom Of Three |
You can also join our Private Facebook Page here so that you are sure to NEVER miss another one of our deals!
This post may contain affiliate links